Back to the list of questions

If my child decides to enroll in a prep school in the U.S. after finishing secondary school in Quebec, can they receive an educational assistance payment?


No, this probably wouldn’t be considered post-secondary education because of the differences between the Quebec and U.S. education systems. Usually, prep school is considered an extension of Quebec secondary education, since secondary school consists of 5 years while high school, the system used in the U.S. and the rest of Canada, consists of 6 years. That’s why Quebecer students who wish to pursue a post-secondary education in the U.S. must first complete a year of prep school.        

Prep school doesn’t meet the criteria established by the Government of Canada to be eligible for educational assistance payments since it is secondary education. If funds are withdrawn while the beneficiary is in prep school, the grants will be lost. However, your child could, under certain conditions, use their RESP to then pursue a post-secondary education in the U.S. To learn the best solutions available for you, contact our Customer Service; one of our agents will gladly help you take full advantage of your RESP.