Back to the list of questions

Can a loved one contribute to my child’s RESP for the holidays?


Grandparents, uncles, aunts, godparents, friends… they can all contribute to the RESP of a child they love, even without being related. Education is the most precious gift a child can receive!

Here are the options available:

  • Open an RESP for the child.
    Know that we are legally obligated to inform the child’s parent or legal guardian and that we will have to give them your name and address. Furthermore, to open the account, you must provide the SIN of the child and that of the person primarily responsible, as well as yours.  
  • Contribute to an existing RESP.
    If the child already has an RESP (e.g., opened by a parent), you can make contributions to this plan. You should know that your contributions will be part of the funds which remain, at plan maturity, the property of the subscriber (i.e., the person who signed the contract).
  • Give a gift certificate to add to an RESP.
    Kaleido gift certificates are great for a birthday, the holidays, a baby shower, or any other celebration.

There are many ways you can invest in a child’s future and have a positive impact. RESPs make great gifts; they give children the possibility to reach their full potential!


Legal Notes

* Our lawyers insist that we mention the identities marked with an asterisk are fictitious and only serve to present the most frequently asked questions. We understand your concerns well, so we took the lead. The answers, for their part, are all very real.