Back to the list of questions

We have an RESP account for our son who wants to pursue a military education.

Since this education is paid for, will we lose the amount added to our contributions and the interest? Will our son benefit from the same payment than a student who has to pay tuition?


The Royal Military College Saint-Jean and the Royal Military College of Canada (Kingston) are both post-secondary establishments recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur (Quebec). So, by studying in such institutions, your son would be eligible to receive educational assistance payments (EAPs).

However, courses offered by recruit schools as well as vocational training offered on various military bases in Canada are not eligible for EAPs, as these are not recognized educational institutions.

Remember that EAPs can be used to pay for a variety of school-related expenses in addition to tuition, such as rent, commuting expenses, groceries, school supplies or equipment, etc.

We invite you to contact our Customer Service at 1 877 710-7377 to discuss your situation and discover what options are the most advantageous for you.