Back to the list of questions

Who can open an RESP for a child?


Anyone can contribute to an RESP for a child—parents, guardians, grandparents, other relatives or friends. You don’t have to be related to the child. 

Here are the possible options:

  • Open an RESP for a child
    Note that the law requires we inform the child’s parents or legal guardian and give them your name and address. Also, to open a plan we will need the child’s social insurance number (SIN), as well as your own SIN and that of the child’s primary caregiver.
  • Contribute to an existing RESP
    If the child already has an RESP (opened by a parent, for example), you can contribute to this RESP. At plan maturity, your contributions will become the subscriber’s property (the subscriber is the person who signed the contract).
  • Offer a gift certificate applicable to an RESP 
    Our gift certificates are a unique and thoughtful way to celebrate a baby shower, birth, baptism, birthday, or other special occasions. They also make a great gift during the holidays.

Several options allow you to invest in the future of a child that’s important to you.


Want to learn more?

Contact Us


Legal Notes

* Our lawyers insist that we mention the identities marked with an asterisk are fictitious and only serve to present the most frequently asked questions. We understand your concerns well, so we took the lead. The answers, for their part, are all very real.