Frequently Asked Questions―FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to create my Client Space account. How do I get started?

To sign up, you must be the subscriber or beneficiary of an RESP with Kaleido. Click on the MY CLIENT SPACE tab in the boxed section to get started.

You can register with or without your ID number. You will first need to create your user profile. Once you confirm your email address and select a security question, you will receive an email from Kaleido with an activation link. Click on this link to complete your registration.

How do I change my contact or banking information?

Simply log in to your Client Space to edit your contact information.

I just received my child’s social insurance number (SIN). How do I send you this information?

The safest way to send us a SIN is through your Client Space. Create your account or sign in with the six-digit ID number provided when you opened your RESP. Once connected, you can add your child’s SIN in the “My Profile” section.

Where can I view my RESP account balance?

You can view your RESP account balance in real time via your Client Space under the “Balance” tab. Follow the growth of your savings in just a few clicksanytime, anywhere!

I’d like to make a change to my contract. Who do I talk to?

Please contact our Customer Service to make any of the following changes to your contract:

  • Change of subscriber
  • Change of beneficiary
  • Temporary interruption of contributions
  • Decrease in the amount of your contributions
  • Plan cancellation

Our team is there to listen and will provide all the details to ensure you make a well-informed decision.

What is an ID?

The ID refers to your personal six-digit identification number. Both the subscriber and the beneficiary are issued an ID number at the time the RESP is opened.

This number appears on your account statements and on any correspondence sent by Kaleido.

Refund of contributions (ROC)

When should I withdraw my contributions and educational assistance payments (EAPs)?

You can start applying for the refund of your contributions and EAPs as soon as your beneficiary enrols in a post-secondary program of study.

You manage the EAP withdrawals throughout your child’s school career, choosing the amount and timing of your withdrawals. We encourage you to spread the EAPs so these last the entire length of your child’s education.

Read our blog article Smart RESP Withdrawal Strategies to find out more.

What steps must I follow to receive a refund of contributions (ROC)?

Once the plan reaches its maturity date, the subscriber can apply for a refund of contributions (ROC) via the Client Space.

To get started, click on the “My RESPs” tab and select “Withdraw sums” and then “Refund of contributions.” Select a beneficiary and then the plan from which you wish to withdraw an ROC. Next, you must select the status that applies to your beneficiary (post-secondary student or not). The refund will be transferred to your bank account within 4 to 8 days following your request.

What documents must I provide to make sure my beneficiary keeps the grant money accumulated in the RESP?

When the time comes to apply for your refund of contributions, send us one of the following documents to ensure the grants received aren’t returned to the government:

  • Letter of acceptance (conditional or official) for admission to a post-secondary program
  • Recent proof of enrolment to post-secondary education
  • A class schedule for the current or upcoming semester
  • Proof of tuition payment for the upcoming semester
Will I be taxed on the refunded contributions I receive?

No, not one cent!

Only educational assistance payments (EAPs) are considered taxable income for the beneficiary for the year in which they are received. For more information on this subject, read our blog article: It's Tax Season Again! Got RESP Questions?

Educational Assistance Payments (EAPs)

What qualification criteria must I meet to receive educational assistance payments (EAPs)?

The criteria correspond to those of the Income Tax Act (Canada).

The beneficiary can receive EAPs once he or she is enrolled in a qualifying educational program or a specified educational program. The student can attend school in person or be registered in a distance learning program, and is entitled to receive EAPs for up to six months after ceasing enrolment.

  • A qualifying educational program corresponds to full-time studies:
    • The program must last at least three consecutive weeks.
    • The student must spend at least 10 hours per week on courses or work in the program.
  • A specified educational program corresponds to part-time studies:
    • The program must last at least three consecutive weeks.
    • The student must spend at least 12 hours per month on courses or work in the program.
    • The beneficiary must be at least 16 years old.

For more information about eligible programs, see the List of Designated Educational Institutions in Quebec and New Brunswick on the Government of Canada website.

I’m ready to apply for my first EAP! How do I get started?

Once the beneficiary meets the qualification criteria, you can withdraw an educational assistance payment (EAP). The EAP application must be submitted via the subscriber’s Client Space. Simply follow these instructions:

  1. Log in and click on the “My RESPs” tab, select “Withdraw sums" and then “Apply for EAPs";
  2. Choose a beneficiary and then select the plan from which you want to withdraw an EAP;
  3. Enter the amount you wish to withdraw;
  4. Enter your beneficiary’s post-secondary education information.
  5. Click on “Choose File” to attach your beneficiary’s proof of enrolment;
  6. Select the EAP recipient (person who receives the payment) and enter the applicable banking information.
What documents must I submit with my application to receive an educational assistance payment?

To apply for an EAP, you must include proof of recent enrolment in eligible post-secondary studies.

To ensure acceptance of your document and avoid processing delays, the proof of enrolment you submit must include the following information:

  • Full name of student (beneficiary)
  • Name of educational institution
  • School period concerned
    (The student may receive educational assistance payments for up to six months after completion of studies in an eligible program.)
  • Full—or part-time student status

Examples of accepted proof of enrolment documents:

  • Certificate of enrolment
  • Course calendar or schedule
  • Academic transcript
  • Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202, T2202A or TL11A)

Examples of non-accepted proof of enrolment documents:

  • Proof of acceptance or admission
  • Payable invoice
  • Student ID
How much can I withdraw?

For the full-time student

  • The educational program must be for a minimum of three consecutive weeks.
  • The student must spend at least 10 hours per week in class or on assignments.

A beneficiary is eligible for up to $8,000 in EAPs for the first 13 weeks of eligible studies in the last 12 consecutive months. Any withdrawals in excess of this amount can be made only after this 13-week period, as per the Income Tax Act (Canada).

For the part time student

  • The educational program must be for a minimum of three consecutive weeks.
  • The student must spend at least 12 hours per month in class or on assignments.
  • The beneficiary must be at least 16 years old.

A beneficiary who is an eligible part-time post-secondary student may receive a maximum of $4,000 in the 13 weeks prior to receiving an EAP.


This simple tool will help you calculate how much your child’s postsecondary education could cost.

few secondes!