What is an RESP?


A registered education savings plan (RESP) is a convenient a way to save for a child’s education after high school, and allows you to reach your investment goals faster thanks to substantial government grants that supplement your contributions.

What’s more, your savings and grant money grow tax-free over the years.

In a nutshell, it’s  an easy way to save that really pays off!

Amount calculated Savings period Earnings Grants Savings
The ratios presented are not representative of reality and are only for information purposes.

Our plans provide educational assistance payments for vocational/trade school, college, or university programs here in Canada or abroad!

Paid to or on behalf of the beneficiary (student) to cover school expenses. These are called educational assistance payments (EAPs).

The contributions invested are returned to the subscriber (person who opened the plan), who can choose to give this sum to the student or keep it for other life projects.

EXCLUSIVELY WITH KALEIDO: You get back all your savings whether your child goes to school or not.1


How much could my RESP really earn?

The sooner you contribute, the more you earn


You can set up an RESP for only $10.50/month*

In which province do you live?

How do RESPs work?

Whether big or small, your contributions grow quickly in a registered education savings plan!


Signing a Contract

This is when you set up your savings plan.

Our representatives know the RESP from top to bottom and use their expertise to set up a plan that’s a perfect fit for your family’s needs and situation.

Q – When can I start making contributions to an RESP?
Q – I want to learn more about RESPs. Who do I contact?
Q – Can I open an RESP for a child who is not a Canadian resident?
Q – Do I have to apply for the grants?
Q – Do I have to give both my social insurance number (SIN) and that of my child?

RESP Contributions

You’ve chosen how long you want to save: 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, or longer.
You’ve chosen the frequency of your contributions―did you opt for the convenience of monthly pre-authorized debits or prefer the annual option?

You’re all set, the only thing left to do is contribute!

Q – Do I have to make regular contributions or can I contribute whenever I want?
Q – If I choose the REFLEX Plan, can I change the amount of my contributions along the way?
Q – Money just got tight due to an unexpected event! Can I skip a few contributions to my RESP?

Investment Growth

As your child grows, so does the RESP! Your contributions and grants add up faster than you think, generating earnings of their own.  

You can also make additional contributions to your RESP at any time to attract even more government grants. Your child could receive up to $12,800.

Q – How are government grants paid into my RESP?
Q – I’d like to change my RESP beneficiary. Is that possible?

Post-Secondary Education on the Horizon

You’re almost to the finish line: your child will be graduating from high school soon and is beginning to think seriously about the future. It’s time to plan ahead and make a few decisions.
You can soon apply for the refund of your contributions and sales charges, if applicable

An amount equal to the total sales charges you paid is refunded to you at plan maturity of our REFLEX and UNIVERSITAS group plans. In the case of the INDIVIDUAL Plan, the sales charge of up to $200 is not refunded.

Your beneficiary (student) will also soon be able to apply for a first educational assistance payment (EAP) online. Stay posted!

Q – My child doesn’t plan to go to school. What will happen to my RESP?
Q – My child plans to pursue a trade-school program instead of going to a university. Will I lose everything?
Q – My child would like to study in a foreign country. Is my RESP still good?

Refund of Contributions

Time to reap the rewards! Now that your contract has reached maturity, you have access to your contributions and a sum matching the sales charges―TAX FREE.1

You can withdraw this money whenever you wish and use it as extra funds for school or any other project important to you. But remember that to keep all the grant money accumulated for your beneficiary, the government requires you provide proof of your beneficiary’s enrolment in eligible studies when you apply for a refund of contributions. 

Q – When can I request the refund of my contributions?
Q – Is the refund of contributions paid to me or my beneficiary (student)?
Q – My child isn’t enrolled in a post-secondary program yet. What are my options?

Payments for school

Your beneficiary has reached a major milestone: post-secondary education!

You can start withdrawing educational assistance payments (EAPs) to pay for school as needed. EAPs include your plan’s grant money and investment income (on grants and contributions).


Q – Withdrawing EAPs: How does it all work?
Q – When can my child request an EAP?
Q – Can EAPs be used to cover expenses other than tuition?

As parents, we strive to give our children all the opportunities in the world, and to ensure they have the means to become whoever they want to be. That’s why I like Kaleido. With their help, we gradually prepare for the future of our young. After, it’s their show and it’s up to them to forge their own path.

Bianca Gervais
Kaleido Spokesperson

Want to learn more?

Talk to one of our education savings professionals to learn more about our RESPs and all their options.

Legal Notes

  1. Investments made in T-Bills and governments bonds. Please note that the refund of contributions at plan maturity includes the sales charges of $200 per unit under the REFLEX Plan and Universitas Plan. Under the INDIVIDUAL Plan, the sales charge of up to $200 is not refunded. Certain conditions apply; see our prospectus.
  2. Certain conditions apply; please see our prospectus.
  3. Additional contributions are at the subscriber’s discretion. The minimum amount is set at $50 for the REFLEX Plan and $25 for the INDIVIDUAL Pan.
  4. Subject to the minimum amounts required for the first contribution and subsequent deposits. For more information, please see our prospectus.
  5. For detailed information on these options, please see our prospectus.
  6. For a complete list of eligible programs, please see our prospectus.

* For a newborn for the REFLEX Plan. See our prospectus.

See also