Celebrate the Small Steps Towards School Success
February 21, 2020
Encouragement has a proven track record when it comes to motivating students to persevere at school. Through encouragement, parents create a positive vibe for their kids, inspiring them to keep up their efforts and improve. And one thing is for sure: every step towards success (big or small) deserves recognition, from good behaviour in class to a great report card.
There’s no shortage of ways to praise a child’s efforts, so don’t limit yourself to material rewards! On the contrary, it’s crucial for kids to hear their parents tell them they’re proud of their academic work and achievements. Getting involved and taking an interest in your child’s school life sends the message that it’s important to attend school and to stick with it. And it’s not just parents who can encourage children: the support of grandparents, friends and teachers is just as valuable.
As part of Hooked on School Days, Kaleido wants to highlight the various ways parents celebrate the positive results of their children’s academic efforts. We received so many great ideas through our social media, so we thought we’d share our top 10:
- Special quality time with one of the parents
- A family party with balloons, chips, gummy candy and pillow fights
- A new book or graphic novel
- A favourite packed lunch with a note
- An outing to the restaurant with Granny… and a small extra gift
- A special activities’ day (e.g., skating and movies with popcorn)
- A nice sticker on an essay or report card
- A girls’ (or guys’) night
- New crayons or craft materials (it also encourages the artist within!)
- A sleepover with a friend
What about you? How do you celebrate your child’s victories? In our competitive world, let’s not lose sight of the fact that everyone succeeds in their own way and that every small win is a step in the right direction. There’s no such thing as too much encouragement, so let’s make time to congratulate our kids!